Reenacting the UN general assembly of 1947 deciding on the partition of Palestine, practicing negotiation skills, enriching historical knowledge, practicing and enriching English language skills, written and spoken.
TIME REQUIRED IN CLASSROOM
LEAD-IN / PREP
- The functions of the UN http://www.un.org/en/sections/what-we-do/
- United Nations Plan for the partition of Palestine 1947 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Partition_Plan_for_Palestine
- Resolution 181 http://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa/foreignpolicy/peace/guide/pages/un%20general%20assembly%20resolution%20181.aspx
- Research as homework prior the lesson regarding resolution 181 and the participating parties - 45 minutes
- In class roles assigning in groups of 3-4 pupils. Each group decides who they are going to represent. – 10 to15 minutes
- Each group researches background needed to understand their party's position. 2 lessons - 90 minutes.
- In class the 7 elements of negotiation are taught. Main emphasis on the difference between positions and interests. 30 minutes.
- Fish bowl activity: 2 representatives of different parties act in their roles backstage negotiations before the resolution. Emphasis on the inner voice expressing needs. Students are encouraged to "jump in" and replace any of the participants. - 30 minutes
- In class- focusing on " Walking down their ladder" - 20 minutes
- Students research and prepare themselves for the negotiation process while addressing the other parties' needs along with theirs, thinking about other options, legitimacy and commitment of anything proposed. -90 minutes (2 lessons)
- Simulation of the UN General Assembly discussing resolution 181 in 1947. 3 lessons
VOCABULARY / GRAMMAR
negotiation, positions versus interests, needs, values, commitment, legitimacy
- Class discussion: what is it that we understand now that we did not know before this unit?
- If the UN general assembly of 1947 occurred today, what might have changed?
- If you could go back in time, what would you have done differently?
|UN Resolution 181.pdf||Download|
- 9 Download
- 88.34 KB File Size
- 1 File Count
- July 13, 2019 Last Updated