- Download 510
- File Size 155.96 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date June 9, 2019
- Last Updated July 13, 2019
Preparing to Negotiate in The Treasure of Lemon Brown
Yasmin Abu Saad
Students will be able to present the characters they represent and generate a solution for the father-son relationship.
TIME REQUIRED IN CLASSROOM
Double lesson (90 minute lesson)
- The first discussion can be around 10 minutes, depending on your students.
- The worksheet should take them about 15-20 minutes to fill out.
- One-on-one sessions should take about 10 minutes.
- Presentation and reflection can take up a full lesson.
LEAD-IN / PREP
Read The Treasure of Lemon Brown
This is a Post Reading Activity, so make sure that you have finished reading the text with students.
Raise the following questions: What will Greg do when he enters the house? How will he approach his father?
Have a short discussion with the students to see what ideas they have.
Divide the class into two groups: group 1 will represent the father (Mr. Ridley) while group 2 represents Greg.
Hand out PATHWAYS’ negotiation preparation worksheet and have the students fill it in, focusing on the issue between the two characters: basketball vs. math and good grades.
Students from group 1 should do the preparation in small groups with other students who have the same role and the same for group 2.
Pair students up from group 1 and group 2, so they have a one-on-one session on what will happen next. How will this father-son relationship overcome this issue?
After they finish, have students present the outcome of their conversations.
Then, reflect on the whole activity using the Reflection questions.
VOCABULARY / GRAMMAR
different perspectives, report card, lecture, interests, options, legitimacy, relationship, communication, alternatives, commitment
Participation and active discussions.
Prepare worksheet with the following reflection questions:
- Did you like the activity? Why or why not?
- Did the "seven elements" preparation have an effect on the conversation between the two characters? If so, how?
- In your opinion, was it useful to incorporate preparation about these seven elements? Could this kind of thinking have a positive impact on our daily lives?
|Preparing to Negotiate in The Treasure of Lemon Brown.pdf