- Download 892
- File Size 236.39 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date June 9, 2019
- Last Updated July 13, 2019
Negotiating a New Cabin Companion in Mr. Know All
- Students will be able to understand the perspective of different characters in the story.
- Students will be able to negotiate a cabin exchange for the narrator.
- Students will practice their speaking skills.
- Students will be able to prepare themselves to a negotiation by filling a table of interests (Pathways’ negotiation preparation sheet).
TIME REQUIRED IN CLASSROOM
LEAD-IN / PREP
Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ko1FtEKUk
- Students are divided into pairs (one represents the narrator and the other represents Mr. Kelada).
- Each student is given a scenario sheet.
- Each student is given a negotiation preparation sheet in order to list:
- Known information about the character
- His/ her interests
- Area of flexibility/options
- Possible outcomes
- In pairs, students will lead a negotiation over the cabin exchange.
- Each pair will present its interests and achievements (or lack of).
VOCABULARY / GRAMMAR
agenda, interest, needs, concerns, goals, motivation, bargening, options, agreement, cooperation, partner, achieving goals, resolution, BATNA.
- Each pair will submit two negotiation preparation sheets.
- Each pair will present their characters:
- Given information from the story
- The character's "why"
- The character's interests
- The outcome of their negotiation
Each student records a 2 minute reflection video about his/her experience while considering the following:
- His/her thoughts about the topic of the activity (negotiating a cabin exchange with a character from a literary text).
- About the preparation stage (completing a negotiation sheet)
- His/her feelings while negotiation:
- Was I prepared? Was I a confident negotiator? Was I satisfied with the results? Did I use the targeted vocabulary? Did this activity contribute to my negotiation skills?
- Presenting in class: Was I confident speaking in English? Did I use the targeted vocabulary? Did it contribute to my public speaking skills?
- What would I do differently?
* Each reflection will be sent by WhatsApp to the teacher.
* Download PDF for Scenario Sheets
|Negotiating a new cabin campanion in Mr Know All.pdf||Download|