- Download 631
- File Size 2.23 MB
- File Count 2
- Create Date June 10, 2019
- Last Updated July 13, 2019
Life Rules from Bill Gates
Students will reflect on the a summary of Bill Gates’s speech at an American high school.
Lead-in / Preparation
See PowerPoint presentation
Description of Activities
- Watch the ppt
- Then Read the rules again (see below)
- Reflection task: Divide the rules as YOU see them according to the following categories. Write numbers only. Be prepared to talk
|I don't agree,|
This is stupid.
|I knew it before.||I agree.||I didn't know it before||I never thought about it|
Summary of the Bill Gates life rules
- Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it!
- Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.
- Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car and house until you earn both.
- Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.
- Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.
- Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.
- Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try cleaning the closet in your own room.
- Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they’ll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn’t bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.
- Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don’t get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.
- Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.
- Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.