• Acceptance of Identity—Approach people as neither inferior nor superior to you; give others the freedom to express their authentic selves without fear of being negatively judged; interact without prejudice or bias, accepting how race, religion, gender, class, sexual orientation, age, disability, etc. are at the core of their identities. Assume they have integrity.
• Recognition—Validate others for their talents, hard work, thoughtfulness, and help; be generous with praise; give credit to others for their contributions, ideas and experience.
• Acknowledgment—Give people your full attention by listening, hearing, validating and responding to their concerns and what they have been through.
• Inclusion—Make others feel that they belong at all levels of relationship (family, community, organization, nation).
• Safety—Put people at ease at two levels: physically, where they feel free of bodily harm; and psychologically, where they feel free of concern about being shamed or humiliated, that they feel free to speak without fear of retribution.
• Fairness—Treat people justly, with equality, and in an evenhanded way, according to agreed upon laws and rules.
• Independence—Empower people to act on their own behalf so that they feel in control of their lives and experience a sense of hope and possibility.
• Understanding—Believe that what others think matters; give them the chance to explain their perspectives, express their points of view; actively listen in order to understand them.
• Benefit of the Doubt—Treat people as trustworthy; start with the premise that others have good motives and are acting with integrity.
• Accountability—Take responsibility for your actions; if you have violated the dignity of another, apologize; make a commitment to change hurtful behaviors.
From Dignity: Its Essential Role in Resolving Conflict, Yale University Press, Donna Hicks
Copyright © 2011 by Donna Hicks. All rights reserved.
|Dignity - Essential Elements.pdf||Download|
- 13 Download
- 95.64 KB File Size
- 1 File Count
- July 13, 2019 Last Updated