Using the poem "As I grew Older" as both a trigger and a two-voice exercise for incorporating both Active Listening and the Ladder of Inference.
- Students will be able to understand the different perspectives, which govern choice in a negotiating situation.
- Students will learn to use the Ladder of Inference - The Three Skills) / Du Bono's 6 Hats Four Corners to focus on the dilemma presented in As I grew Older.
- Students will be able to incorporate the relevant vocabulary of negotiation while discussing the dilemma presented by the literary piece.
Lead-in / Preparation
For each activity use worksheets/cards for students.
- Short Video Clip/ posters illustrating discrimination between African Americans and White Americans –could be the Rosa Parkes Clip from YouTube .
- Word/Phrase cards to be used in the Four Corner Discussion – Taken from the presentation at Pathways and other words relating to both negotiation and literary terms
- Du Bono Hats
- Vocabulary cards and phrases as aids for discussion
Estimated Class-Time Required
Two double lessons
Description of Activities
- Introduction of Vocabulary through matching task - groups of four
- In groups of four, short discussion of whether any student has been made to feel an outsider. Introduction to the skills of Inquiry, Acknowledgement and Advocacy.
- Frontal presentation of short clip or poster illustrating Discrimination - Review of the Poem "As I grow Older" by Langston Hughes - which has already been presented in Literature lessons.
- Role-playing the situation presented in the poem using either the literary technique of a two-voice poem or Active listening techniques while focusing on the three skills.
- Discussion of main dilemma using Four Corners or Du Bono Hats – vocab phases can be provided for students to use.
- Preparing a poster to show their process through introducing the Ladder of Inference - Presentation of their poster focusing on how they moved up and down the ladder to explore each other is reasoning. Possible use of Canvas site for posters.
Key Vocabulary / Phrases
The lexical items from the Pathways list for Negotiation and terms relating to the Ladder of Influence.
Checklist – completed in groups and Rubric for presentation.
The last activity involving presenting a poster will enable the students to reflect on their learning. A short discussion can be held afterwards using guided reflective questions.
Students should be aware of the amount of time given for each activity in order to stay on track.
- 7 Download
- 547.68 KB File Size
- 3 File Count
- January 5, 2020 Last Updated